GAF Slalom Race 2020 – Canceled for 2020
September 26 at 9:00 am - 4:00 pm UTC+0$10
GAF Slalom Race
Saturday, September 26
Test your finesse against NRC’s After School Kayak kids, Saturday at the 2020 NOC Guest Appreciation Festival.
The After School Kayak kids invite you to the GAF Slalom Race, a fun event for paddlers of all ages and skill levels at the Nantahala Bridge Gates. Bring your own craft (all breeds of whitewater kayak, canoe, and SUP are welcome!) or test drive something new.
Entry Fee By Donation: Recommended donation $10, but anything will help!! (includes raffle ticket!)
9 am – 12 pm: Registration
12 pm: Racer’s Meeting
12:30 – 3:30 pm: Race!
4 pm: Results & Raffle
GAF Slalom Race Rules:
Canoe slalom is a race of speed and precision in whitewater.
Racers try to get from the start to the finish as fast as possible, weaving in and out of the gates without touching or missing any.
- The racer’s time starts in the first gate and finishes in the last gate.
- Touching a gate means that any part of the racer’s body or equipment comes into physical contact with the gate.
- 2 seconds are added to a racer’s time for touching a gate.
- When going through a gate, the racer must get his/her entire head, and part of the boat through the gate at the same time for the gate to count.
- The gates must be negotiated in numerical order. (If a racer touches or goes through “activates” gate 2 before going through the gate 1, he/she will receive “misses” gate 1 and receives a 50 second penalty.)
- The racer must be right side up when going through the gate.