- This event has passed.
After School Kayak – 2020
June 1 at 4:15 pm - 6:15 pm UTC+0
After School Kayaking
2020 Dates: April 13 – October 31 (Mondays during school year, Mondays and Wednesdays during summer)
Time: 4:15 pm – 6:15 pm
Location: Nantahala Bridge Gates, Finger Lake, Tuckaseegee River at Island Park
Cost: $100 programming fee + $100 equipment fee (if applicable) – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for scholarship information
Age: 7 – 18
After School Kayaking is a 3-season program that teaches kids the FUNdamentals of whitewater kayaking. Participants meet weekly throughout the spring, summer, and fall, working on strokes, balance, and how to read the water. The primary goals are to have fun on the river and learn about whitewater safety. Secondary goals are to develop consistent exercise habits and build a base of skills and strength that will continue to grow with participants.
The group will meet at various locations over the course of the program, depending on participant skill levels and the day’s lesson plan.
Flatwater Focus Skills:
- Wet exits & being comfortable in the boat
- Hip snaps, braces, & rolls
- Stroke technique: sweep, forward stroke, reverse sweep, reverse stroke, draw
- Edging & boat control
Whitewater Focus Skills:
- Safe self-rescue & recognizing river hazards
- Entering and exiting eddies
- Ferries, s-turns
- Boat scouting & choosing a line
- Building precision through FUNdamental slalom exercises
- Participants must have participated in at least one Nantahala Kids Club session and received their Salamander certification.
- Participants with prior paddling experience who have not completed an NKC session must be assessed and approved by the After School Kayaking coaching team.
- Participants must be NRC Members.
- Participants are asked to commit to attending at least six sessions each month – if you have scheduling conflicts, please contact the ASK director, Zuzana.