New Programming and Events for 2014
The NRC Board is excited to announce all-new programming for youth and adults in 2014. In addition to existing community programs such as the Nantahala Kids Club and the NRC Slalom Mini-Camps, the coming year will bring new and expanded programs in a variety of areas:
• Beginning in May, NRC will be hosting a Spring Racing Series for paddlers of all ages. The Fall Racing Series, including the NRC Southeastern Championships extend the racing season well into November.
• New Whitewater Mini-Camps for youth paddlers aged 18 and under will provide intensive two-day instruction in freestyle, slalom and wildwater competitive skills in a fun, kid-friendly setting.
• Youth Training Sessions on Tuesday and Thursdays from May through December are free to NRC members and provide consistent high-level coaching to aspiring young paddlers.
• The Junior Olympics are returning to the Nantahala in 2014. More than just a race, this event is an opportunity to for kids to meet and mingle with paddling peers from across the country. Kids will have an opportunity to train with US National Team coaches and will be encouraged to compete in multiple disciplines, not just freestlyle, slalom, and wildwater, but also ducky-cross, SUP, and pivoting.
• Friday Night Slalom, NRC’s evening adult have been extended from May through August. Come on out to paddle with NRC Team Athletes on Friday afternoons, beginning around 6 pm. These are fun, low-key workouts, followed by beer and burgers on the riverbank.
• Please mark your calendars for the 2014 NRC Annual Banquet! The banquet will take place on Saturday, October 11, following the NRC Southeastern Championships. Join us for food, drink, and merriment. Activities will include awards for a variety of Most Valuable categories, raffle, and slideshow.